Monday, June 25, 2007

Sui generis

It was my 11th grade physics class. Mr. Siva Kumar stood before us. His chalk scribbled ohm’s law. I stared at the board… as my intuition said, “What’s new in this?” Yeah, I find some analogy here. I stood up

Me: Mr. ohm has copied Newton.

My teacher “yes sir, why do you say so?”.

Me: I find Newton’s second law much similar to this ohm’s law. f=ma and v=ir. Let us rewrite the second equation as v=ri. Now F is something more analogous to voltage as voltage is a kind of force that pushes current and “m” mass is analogous to resistance “r” which is a load on the voltage or the load at which voltage acts just like a mass at which force acts. Hence as a result the motion of mass is described as acceleration while in circuit terms the movement of electrons is called current

My teacher: That was great. (Amused tone). Yeah the two laws look much similar. Now what?? Have u finished your assignments? I cannot do much about this coz I have to finish the portion. Anyway drop in physics lab this afternoon.

I faithfully nodded and followed what he said. For sometime we were talking about circuits and he explained me few things. Then he gave me a pile of books which bore titles “IIT-JEE” I pushed them aside and told him naively “No its not my cup of tea”. He did force me to read those later.

I was lucky to have a teacher who did pay attention to my curiosities and intuitions. He was very patient to listen to my long boring talks (back lectures!) and he smiled at asinine ideas and said nothing but gave due attention to good ones. Finally all these weren’t futile. I did win an award “Best physics project” (a circuit project).

There are times when you are forced to suppress your ideas, intuitions, thoughts and creativity. Look around you, you might just find someone.

Everything aside keep dreaming.. I recall this incident whenever I read this

My teacher always said this

“And a genius is born with destroyed creativity” (To curse the education system whenever a kid asks a smart question!).

I did blow my trumpet quite a bit…Dint I??

So kids who are reading this remember. stay foolish, stay hungry and stay unique

No comments: